Summer is officially here! From spending our days in the great outdoors to kids enjoying some time off school, it’s no secret that summer is loved by many people. However, for some of us, this season also comes with a serious issue- the heat! While the summer sun definitely has its perks, it can also cause some issues when it gets too hot for comfort. This is especially true in terms of sleeping since high temperatures can make it difficult to fall and stay asleep.
Have you experienced issues with getting a good night of rest during the summer? Keep ready to find out why that is, as well as 5 tips to keep you cool in the heat and sleep comfortably on San Diego mattresses!
Why it’s so difficult to sleep during a hot night
Of course, a big reason why you struggle to sleep during the summer is because the heat is simply uncomfortable. After all, who wants to sleep in a stuffy and hot room while being sticky from sweat? However, there is another explanation behind all of this: your body temperature has a huge impact on how well you sleep. In order to achieve deep and restful sleep, your body needs to drop its core temperature by about 2 degrees. However, when you’re too hot or your surrounding temperature is too high, it can be difficult for your body to drop its temperature, preventing you from being able to get a quality slumber.
Similarly, science has found that around 65 degrees is the most favorable temperature for resting and can actually promote restful sleep. For most people, it’s at that temperature that their bodies feel most comfortable, so sleep comes easier. Of course, it goes without saying that the excess summer heat can make it difficult to maintain this ideal temperature. However, despite all of this, sleeping in the summer isn’t impossible! There are plenty of special tricks you can use to keep both you and your room cool at night. Below are 5 of the most helpful tips for battling summer heat when it comes to sleeping.
5 tips for sleeping soundly on San Diego mattresses when temperatures rise
- Keep a glass of ice water by your bed- A nice refreshing glass of water can certainly give you an instant boost of cold whenever you need it! Not to mention this is also a good way to stay hydrated and avoid excessive water loss from sweating.
- Wear quality pajamas- If you’re prone to night sweats, it may be a good idea to make sure you’re wearing the appropriate type of pajamas. Try to avoid fabrics that retain heat, like flannel, or anything that fits too tight. Instead, opt for something more breathable that will keep you cool and dry, as well as a looser fit to promote airflow.
- Invest in quality sheets- When it comes to your sheets, fabric matters! Much like your pajamas, the types of sheets you use can impact how well you sleep. When the heat starts to rise, you should switch to sheet fabrics that are breathable and moisture-wicking, like bamboo, cotton, and linen. These materials often feel cool to the touch, can regulate temperature, and keep you feeling nice and dry on your San Diego mattress.
- Turn on the fan- When all else fails, turning on a fan is a great way to keep cool during the summer. Not only is it cheaper to run than AC, but keeping one on while you sleep can regulate your body temperature and circulate sir to prevent your room from feeling uncomfortably stuffy.
- Upgrade your mattress- Depending on how well they’re taken care of, mattresses have a lifespan of about 8 to 10 years. After that point, they begin to lose their shape, comfort, and quality, which can have serious consequences on your ability to get a full night of restful sleep. Not to mention that higher quality mattresses are able to regulate body temperatures more efficiently. So, if you’re juggling an old mattress on top of hot weather, it’s definitely a good idea to consider purchasing a brand new one from your local San Diego mattress store.